Scones



Scones.  Has there ever been anything easier?  Well....  I distinctly remember my not-yet-but-later-ex-mother-in-law LAUGHING at me because after I declared I would make scones,  I then asked for a recipe.  A recipe?  For scones?  You're joking!!!

Well,  consider this not so much a recipe,  as a reminder that scones have always been there for us in all their low chemical, yummy glory.  I have a few scone recipes in my book,  but this one I made yesterday and today and it could not have been easier.  I have served them up to guests with Pear Jam and whipped cream and they've always been gobbled up.  (Pear Jam is an exotic delicacy? Who'd have thunk it??)

Ingredients:
  • 600g SR Flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup (140g) cream
  • 1 1/2 cup milk
Method:
  • Pre-heat oven 200-220ºC and line a long tray
  • Put all ingredients into Thermomix
  • Mix on 'knead' for about 30 seconds or until well combined
  • On floured surface,  gently press until about 1.5 cms thick
  • Cut with a round cutter or else just cut with a knife into squares
  • Place onto lined tray so they're just touching each other and brush with a little bit of extra milk
  • Cook for 10-12 minutes, until browned on top
  • Cool of a cooling rack
  • Makes about 15 or so.
Verdict:
The kids love it when I have these to serve up.  Well,  we all do.  They're so quick to mix, cook and serve up...  and easy to top with just butter or butter and Pear Jam or (my fav) jam and cream.   I find them handy for when the kids have after-school activities and they're expected to bring a snack to share or they go into the lunch-box for morning tea as well.  But,  everyone knows,  scones are best enjoyed while they're still warm from the oven.

Tweeks:

You could add some sugar if you wanted to,  but it's not necessary with the sweet jam.

Comments